Back to Jeanne's Quilting Too
Banana Cream Pie
1/4 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
2 cups milk, scalded
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
TOPPING - MERINGUE
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar
1 cup whipping cream, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 pie crust (9 inch)
- Mix cornstarch, 2/3 c. sugar and salt. Heat milk in the microwave for 2 min. on high. Whisk milk into dry ingredients gradually. Cook on high for 1-3 min., whisking every min. or so, until thickened.
- Slowly add a small amount of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks; stir into remaining hot mixture. Cook another 1-2 min. on high.
- Add butter and vanilla. Slice 2-3 bananas into cooled pie crust and add filling.
Serves 8. Calories per serving: 417
- For meringue, beat together egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 6 Tbsp. sugar. Beat until there are no sugar crystals. Pour over hot filling. Bake at 325° for about 20 min.
- OR Whip cream with 1/4 c. sugar and spread on cooled filling.
- Butterscotch: Substitute 1 c. brown sugar for 2/3 c. sugar; increase butter to 3 Tbsp.
- Chocolate: Increase sugar to 1 c.; melt 2 1-oz. squares of baking chocolate in the scalded milk.
- Coconut: Add 1 c. shredded coconut to filling. Sprinkle 1/2 c. coconut over meringue before browning OR toast coconut and sprinkle on top of whipped cream.
- Date: Add 1 c. pitted chopped dates to cooled filling.
- Pineapple: Add 1/2 c. thoroughly drained crushed pineapple to cooled filling.
Cheater Banana Cream Pie
- One pie crust, baked and cooled
- Instant pudding mix - vanilla, French vanilla or banana cream
- 1 3/4 c. milk
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- 8 oz. whipping cream
- 1/4 c. sugar
Slice the bananas into the the pie crust. Beat the instant pudding mix with the milk for 2 min. Pour over the bananas. Beat the whipping cream until frothy; add sugar and continue to beat until firm. Spread over the top of the pie. Refrigerate until serving. Serves 8.
Cookies & Cream Magic Cookie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for metal pans or 325 for glass pans.
- Coat a 9" x 13" baking pan with cooking spray.
- Pour melted butter into pan (you can put the pan in the oven with a stick of butter in it while the oven is preheating; the butter melts as you get the other ingredients ready). Sprinkle the Oreo crumbs evenly over the melted butter, and press into pan (a spoon works well for this).
- Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Add the cookie pieces and chocolate chips/chunks. Press down firmly with a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until lightly brown. Loosen from sides of pan while still warm and allow to cool. Makes 36.
Maple Apple Crisp
- 5 apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place apples in an 8"x 8" baking dish. Pour maple syrup over apples. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, sugar, and salt and butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serves 6.